Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Unveiling... And the winner is...

History by Donna Watson,  oil and cold wax, collage and Japanese string

Every seed grows in darkness and silence.

Story by Donna Watson, oil and cold wax, collage and scroll

For the first 6 months of 2013, I faced a serious creative block in my studio.  I wanted some sort of change, but did not know why or what.  I did not know how to move forward, nor what to experiment with or what to try that would result in some sort of change that I would like.

Mapping by Donna Watson, oil and cold wax, collage bundle

I finally decided to try a new medium.  For the past 6 monte or so, I have been experimenting with cold wax and oil paints.  It took me awhile to get used to the slower drying time.  With a lot of experimenting and layering... I ended up with many layers which I scratched, rubbed, pressed, brayered... and I have finally ended with some new finished pieces.

Old Scroll by Donna Watson, oil and cold wax, old collage papers and old scroll

I also decided to change and add to my collage.  Everyone has a story to tell.  Stories become our compass by which we navigate through our memories and discover our core being.  We use stories to build our sanctuaries.  These stories (memories) become our history.

Riverbed by Donna Watson, oil and cold wax, paper bundle, rock, string

Because our memories are intertwined with language, I like to explore the importance of words, phrases, sentences... snatches of memory lingering in and out of consciousness.  My collage became
layers of old letters, book pages, and old maps wrapped into bundles.  Scrolls, which can hide stories and histories, have also been included.  These remains of the past represent our memories in the present.


Every human life has its seeds, whether building a sand castle, cooking, painting a canvas, walking through the woods.

And now, for the drawing for my book:  THE BEAUTY OF NOTHINGNESS.  Thank you to all those who left comments at my blog and those who sent email comments.  There were 65 names.
I wrote down all the names, cut them into pieces that were folded and put into a bowl... and the one name I drew out is.....  Barry!


Thank you again, and if any of you are still interested in my book you can go to Blurb.com
here and take a look at the whole book. 







24 comments:

Trace Willans said...

I love these new pieces. x te

Sharmon Davidson said...

the new pieces are lovely, Donna. Congrats to Barry, a lucky man...

Valerianna said...

Beautiful work, Donna. It seems that on your deep, internal journey you mined gold. Love these!! and congratulations, Barry!!

Valerianna said...

About what size are they?

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Your new works are compelling Donna. They look authentic and rich in experience..as you say rich with story and memories.
Congratulations on your new direction.

And lucky Barry!

ELFI said...

au milieu de chaque tableau..un paquet de bonheur !

Anonymous said...

LOVE x

ArtPropelled said...

Your new work speaks to me Donna. It was well worth the 6 months of moodling! I would have loved to win a copy of your beautiful book but I'm pleased that it is going to a generous soul like Barry.

Fiona Dempster said...

I love the new direction Donna - it feels warm and wise. And I feel very happy that Barry was the winner, cos then I am too! Go well.

Barry said...

Hi D - well I'm a little overwhelmed - such a great gift to receive - it will add to the the beautiful art of fellow wrists that are so precious in our home - pieces that inspire in artistic and spiritual senses. Thank you. The new works are so you - layers upon layers. Go well. B

Debbie said...

Love the new work and the writing in red.

lyle baxter said...

your new pieces are wonderful wish I could tell you just how wonderful! thank you . I know Barry and fiona will enjoy your book as much as I do!

ZenDotStudio said...

it looks like the new medium is working for you! yes, very you with a new twist. you have found your way. it is always hard to be with the discomfort of the dark days, but to add a new element and see them through that is our real work.

Lynn said...

Gorgeous new work, Donna! You've mixed oil and cold wax with your collage elements brilliantly.

I'm curious about what did you made these on? Paneled wood supports?

(I've also recently started to combine oil and cold wax - which I've been using for years - with collage elements - which I've also been using for years. It was sort of one of those 'you've got chocolate in my peanut butter...etc'. moments.)

Ruth Armitage said...

I love the new pieces! Especially Mapping and Riverbed... I'm so glad you like the cold wax - I thought it would suit your artistic temperment :) Congratulations on the progress!

Martin said...

Excellent new pieces Donna!

Jennifer said...

Love the new work. Congrats to Barry!

Tammie Lee said...

yea Barry!

your photos of your art are beautiful. It sounds like you have been on quite a fun and full of learning journey. How fun that you challenged yourself with something new... Sweet days and nights to you!

Seth said...

These are truly beautiful Donna. Must be even more amazing in person. Love the scratches, the layers, the collage, and the palette. All!

rivergardenstudio said...

Donna, your new work is lovely. Soft and strong and mysterious. Have a beautiful spring.
roxanne

deborah from collagewhirl said...

Exciting new work, Donna! These look so rich, and I'll bet they are even more so in person.

Teri said...

I, like everyone else, love your new pieces. They are so soft and contemplative. They feel cozy and make me feel relaxed when I look at then. Is that a crazy description? It is what I sense though when I look at the photos. I'm sure they are even more wonderful in person.

Naquillity said...

love the new process you've begun here adding your history to your present time. how wonderful. may the process continue to flourish. good luck with your new book. may you have many sales. hope all else is well. have a great day~

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

I guess I'm not the only one who gets blocked from time to time! Thanks for reminding me that "changing up" to a different medium can really help!